Saturday, April 15, 2017

Ed Sheeran (1) - April 15, 2017

Image result for castle on the hill

Nope, not missing a "0" in the parentheses, but Castle on the Hill is the new #1. I have no idea how honestly but I'd definitely prefer it over our horrid #3. However, I would prefer Stay over this #1. Could've done better but could've done worse. Now here are the exits:

Ariana Grande/Future - Everyday

Last Week: #30 | Peak: #28 | Weeks on Chart: 02

Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful

Last Week: #32 | Peak: #04 | Weeks on Chart: 25

Bebe Rexha - I Got You

Last Week: #41 | Peak: #13 | Weeks on Chart: 09

Coldplay/SeeB - Hymn For the Weekend

Last Week: #42 | Peak: #04 | Weeks on Chart: 34

And here's the countdown:


45. Rihanna - Love on the Brain

Last Week: #45 | Peak: #21 | Weeks on Chart: 11

44. Panic! at the Disco - Death of a Bachelor

Last Week: #44 | Peak: #07 | Weeks on Chart: 30

43. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj - Side to Side

Last Week: #41 | Peak: #10 | Weeks on Chart: 25

42. Niall Horan - This Town

Last Week: #38 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 28

41. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - Starboy

Last Week: #39 | Peak: #05 | Weeks on Chart: 28

40. Halsey - Now or Never (DEBUT)

Last Week: #__ | Peak: #40 | Weeks on Chart: 01

39. James Hersey - Miss You

Last Week: #27 | Peak: #24 | Weeks on Chart: 06

38. Twenty One Pilots - Heathens

Last Week: #31 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 36

37. MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low

Last Week: #40 | Peak: #37 | Weeks on Chart: 02

36. Snakehips/MØ - Don't Leave

Last Week: #37 | Peak: #36 | Weeks on Chart: 02

35. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times (DEBUT)

Last Week: #__ | Peak: #35 | Weeks on Chart: 01

34. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide (DEBUT)

Last Week: #__ | Peak: #34 | Weeks on Chart: 01

33. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know

Last Week: #36 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 26

32. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever

Last Week: #21 | Peak: #03 | Weeks on Chart: 18

31. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (DEBUT)

Last Week: #__ | Peak: #31 | Weeks on Chart: 01

30. Adele - Water Under the Bridge

Last Week: #28 | Peak: #05 | Weeks on Chart: 20

29. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Last Week: #35 | Peak: #06 | Weeks on Chart: 27

28. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better

Last Week: #29 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 43

27. Panic! at the Disco - L.A. Devotee

Last Week: #33 | Peak: #27 | Weeks on Chart: 05

26. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On

Last Week: #25 | Peak: #05 | Weeks on Chart: 18

25. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons

Last Week: #19 | Peak: #08 | Weeks on Chart: 19

24. AJR - Weak
Last Week: #23 | Peak: #21 | Weeks on Chart: 07


23. Katy Perry/Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm

Last Week: #20 | Peak: #06 | Weeks on Chart: 09

22. The Vamps/Matoma - All Night

Last Week: #34 | Peak: #22 | Weeks on Chart: 02

21. Jon Bellion - All Time Low

Last Week: #22 | Peak: #05 | Weeks on Chart: 24

20. Hailee Steinfeld/Grey/Zedd - Starving

Last Week: #12 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 31

19. Train - Play That Song

Last Week: #15 | Peak: #10 | Weeks on Chart: 21

18. Julia Michaels - Issues

Last Week: #17 | Peak: #17 | Weeks on Chart: 11

17. Fitz and the Tantrums - HandClap

Last Week: #03 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 15

16. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things

Last Week: #24 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 14

15. Imagine Dragons - Believer

Last Week: #11 | Peak: #11 | Weeks on Chart: 05

14. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer

Last Week: #06 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 35

13. Maroon 5 - Cold

Last Week: #09 | Peak: #03 | Weeks on Chart: 09

12. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie - Rockabye

Last Week: #10 | Peak: #10 | Weeks on Chart: 04

11. Twenty One Pilots - Heavydirtysoul

Last Week: #18 | Peak: #11 | Weeks on Chart: 11

10. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel it Coming

Last Week: #16 | Peak: #10 | Weeks on Chart: 13

09. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You

Last Week: #01 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 14

08. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like

Last Week: #02 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 10

07. Shawn Mendes - Mercy

Last Week: #07 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 15

06. The Chainsmokers - Paris

Last Week: #14 | Peak: #06 | Weeks on Chart: 11

05. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy

Last Week: #26 | Peak: #05 | Weeks on Chart: 08

04. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me

Last Week: #08 | Peak: #04 | Weeks on Chart: 08

03. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go

Last Week: #05 | Peak: #03 | Weeks on Chart: 19

02. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay

Last Week: #04 | Peak: #02 | Weeks on Chart: 07

01. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill

Last Week: #13 | Peak: #01 | Weeks on Chart: 09

Biggest Drop: Fitz and the Tantrums - HandClap (3-17, 14 spots)

Biggest Jump: Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (26-5, 21 spots)
New Entrants

There's not much to say about Halsey's new single except for the fact that it's catchy and the beat in the chorus is very similar to Needed Me by Rihanna. Halsey is also releasing a new album soon, for your information. And to be honest, this gets the award for best debut of the week.

Sign of the Times is really an old-type (1960s or 70s) song, which is strange because Harry himself was in a pop band for over 5 years. His debut album is expected May 12. I found this song boring but catchy. I unfortunately don't see it sticking with me though. Also, this song is really long.


I think Slide is catchy but it is too late to debut my personal chart. It's interesting that only rappers sing this song when it's EDM. I don't even know the meaning but I still like it. And yes I think I'm running out of things to say. Now, when will Calvin's album be out?


Honestly, it's about time Something Just Like This debuted. It really is one of the best songs off the new album and I'm happy it debuted here. However, like Slide, it's too late to debut my personal chart. The EDM in the song is similar to Roses and other parts of the song are similar to the original version of Hymn For the Weekend.


Hit-Bound

  • Mansionz/G-Eazy - Wicked
  • DNCE - Kissing Strangers (DEBUT)
  • Kungs/Ephemerals - I Feel So Bad
  • Erin Bowman - Good Time Good Life
  • Flo Rida/99 Percent - Cake
  • Ocean Park Standoff - Good News
  • Jon Bellion - Overwhelming
  • Coin - Talk Too Much
  • Hey Violet - Break My Heart (DEBUT)
  • G-Eazy/Kehlani - Good Life (DEBUT)
  • One Ok Rock - American Girls
  • Zayn/PartyNextDoor - Still Got Time (DEBUT)
  • Aaron Carter - Sooner or Later
  • Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla
  • [Exit: Lorde - Green Light]
Kissing Strangers is actually my new jam. The chorus is so fun and the verses are catchy too. I think it just might be their best single. But why would they be kissing strangers? :/

You may remember Hey Violet from Guys My Age earlier this year, which I loved. They're back! I think Break My Heart is a good song but not as good as Guys My Age ever was.

Good Life is from the soundtrack for The Fate of the Furious. It's technically pop-rap, as it's rising on pop radio. But I like this one and I hope it does well. I like the chorus to this one.

Still Got Time is also really catchy. I'm not sure if it will be a big hit because of its radio stats but I hope it will be because it's perfect for the summer.

Good News has slightly faded on me, but I don't see this turning to red.

Top 5 Picks
5. Kungs/Ephemerals - I Feel So Bad
4. Zayn/PartyNextDoor - Still Got Time
3. Coin - Talk Too Much
2. One Ok Rock - American Girls
1. Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla

I Want Something Just Like Blurbs
There was actually a higher than average number of exits this week. First exit was Everyday, which debuted while flopping on the radio charts, so if it was going to last just 2 weeks here, it didn't even need to debut. Good song anyway. I've said multiple times that Scars to Your Beautiful never faded on me. I Got You deserved much more and will be one of my favorite songs of the year. And finally, Hymn For the Weekend deserved to go. I'm happy it was replaced by Something Just Like This. And thank goodness there won't be any more arguments about the voting poll because it was never on it!

Hits 1 is really mistreating Miss You. It's nearing the top 10 on my personal chart, and in my opinion, I think Hits 1 really underrated it, as it's a great song.

I hope this drop for Heathens means that it will be leaving us soon.

There were two mediocre or bad debuts last week, what were the odds of them both having lousy second week jumps here? I'll take that anytime.

I think this is the first week in a long time that there were two debuts in a row.

Can Treat You Better stop jumping? It's old and also the oldest song on this countdown.

L.A. Devotee takes off into the top 30. Of course, Hits 1. This will be the next Death of a Bachelor in no time.

I really don't see why Chained to the Rhythm had to drop out of the top 20. You know Hits 1, it's really popular. Well I guess it peaked at #6, so what.

Yes, Starving is back in blue. I can't help but like it a little bit.

It's a little odd to see Bad Things almost back in the top 15, but I'm not complaining.

Thank goodness Closer is out of the top 10. But I probably just jinxed it.

Yes for Heavydirtysoul's jump! This must be in the top 10 soon.

So now I Feel it Coming is in the top 10. I didn't expect this to happen so late but I'm happy with it.

I didn't think Shape of You would drop that much that fast and that isn't a good thing. I will say the same for That's What I Like.

Keep in mind that the entire top 6 hit a new peak.

Looks like Heavy pulled a Just Hold On, but one spot better. This song is just moving all around the place, but I'm fine if it stays up here.

Ugh!!! I swear, I think Hits 1 is boosting Say You Won't Let Go just to piss me off. It's not even a major hit yet. Please don't hit #1. But if it blocks Stay from #1 that would be much worse. I'm really hoping to see that one at the top soon.

Castle on the Hill at #1 isn't really a good thing but not a bad thing either. It's the neutral song in this situation. I don't really think it deserves any more time at #1. Plus, it hasn't even been released to pop radio yet.

Top 5 Picks
5. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie - Rockabye
4. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
3. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel it Coming
2. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
1. Twenty One Pilots - Heavydirtysoul

Top 20 Review: April 15, 2017
-1 -Worst Song: 20. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#3)
0-Crap: NONE
1-Bad: NONE
2-Old: 19. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#14), 18. Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#7)
3-Decent: 17. Hailee Steinfeld/Grey/Zedd - Starving (#20), 16. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#6), 15. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (#1)
4-Good: 14. Train - Play That Song (#19), 13. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#4), 12. Maroon 5 - Cold (#13), 11. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#5), 10. Fitz and the Tantrums - HandClap (#17)
5-Great: 9. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#15), 8. Julia Michaels - Issues (#18), 7. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things (#16), 6. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#2), 5. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie - Rockabye (#12), 4. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (#9), 3. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel it Coming (#10), 2. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#8)
6-Best Song: 1. Twenty One Pilots - Heavydirtysoul (#11)
Total: 78/100 (Good)

Last Week: 75/100 (Good)

Top 20 Review: 4/16/16, 4/18/15, and 4/19/14
  • Will be out tomorrow (Monday).
#50Friday is out, but in a new format. Will Heavydirtysoul hold on to the #1 spot for a second week? Click HERE to find out.

Most Missed Song: Justin Bieber - Sorry

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Jax Jones/Raye - You Don't Know Me

"Guess the song" will not be included in this post but will return next week. I may do one throughout the week.

40 comments:

  1. Hollow Man beat you into publishing the post. But your post has more info on it so there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am hallucinating,
    Awesome top 5!!!
    AND Green Light left!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first week since June 18 to have 2 debuts in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got over You Don't Know Me already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Castle on the Hill is ready to gain more airplay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post!

    I definitely agree with you on what you said about Sign Of The Times and I grew into it a little.

    Chained To The Rhythm is probably gonna flop as it's slowly losing airplay. It's just dropping quicker here than other places.

    Castle On The Hill is on pop radio (z100), but it's not on the AT40 so it probably hasn't been released.

    I can't see L.A. Devotee being as successful as DOAB, but who knows?

    I really hope I really like one of the Hitbound debuts, because then there would only be one good song on Hitbound for me if none of them are good/great (Good News). And that song isn't even great for me (like an 8 out of 10).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.allaccess.com/top40-mainstream/future-releases

      On this page it says that Castle on the Hill will impact pop radio on April 18.

      Delete
  8. You're right, down to 3 songs is not possible. There was only one song. I meant to say on my Hot 45 Chart and believe it or not some people actually assumed that I said that and said what i thought to be the formerly correct song, Bad Things. A lot of people guessed Issues and I was like "What?" until I realized that I made a mistake.

    You don't have to submit another response. I'll give you credit for that answer for Song Three along with anyone else that guessed Issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I didn't get to updating the countdown this week. I was very tired this morning and needed more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I missed the first two sets of five, but I got everything else. But until then, here you go:

      35. Don't Leave by Snakehips featuring MO (#36)
      34. Lights Down Now by MAX featuring gnash (#37)
      33. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (#29)
      32. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 (#33)
      31. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello (#16)
      30. Water Under The Bridge by Adele (#30)
      29. Just Hold on by Steve Aoki featuring Louis Tomlinson (#26)
      28. All Time Low by Jon Bellion (#21)
      27. I Don't Wanna Live Forever by Zayn Malik and Taylor Swift (#32)
      26. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#20)
      25. Sign Of The Times by Harry Styles (#35)
      24. Slide by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos (#34)
      23. All Night by The Vamps featuring Matoma (#22)
      22. HandClap by Fitz And The Tantrums (#17)
      21. Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley (#23)
      20. Play That Song by Train (#19)
      19. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay (#31) [Biggest Jump]
      18. Heavy by Linkin Park featuring Kiiara (#5)
      17. Weak by AJR (#24)
      16. L.A. Devotee by Panic! At The Disco (#27)
      15. Issues by Julia Michaels (#18)
      14. Heavydirtysoul by Twenty-one Pilots (#11)
      13. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#14)
      12. Cold by Maroon 5 (#13)
      11. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (#10)











      (spoiler just in case anyone does not want to be spoiled for Top 10)












      10. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran (#1) (one week at #1)
      9. Rockabye by Clean Bandit featuring Anne-Marie and Sean Paul (#12)
      8. Believer by Imagine Dragons (#15)
      7. It Ain't Me by Kygo featuring Selena Gomez (#4)
      6. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (#3)
      5. Paris by The Chainsmokers (#6)
      4. Mercy by Shawn Mendes (#7)
      3. Stay by Zedd featuring Alessia Cara (#2)
      2. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (#1)
      1. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (#8) (first week at #1)

      Listening through Hit-Bound right now and here's what they've played so far:
      American Girls by One Ok Rock
      There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back by Shawn Mendes (debut)
      Still Got Time by Zayn featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR
      The Cure by Lady Gaga (debut)
      Good Life by Kehlani featuring G-Eazy
      Break My Heart by Hey Violet
      Sooner Or Later by Aaron Carter
      Good Time, Good Life by Erin Bowman
      Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj
      (five more at this time)

      Delete
    2. And the other Hit-Bound songs:
      Attention by Charlie Puth (debut)
      Overwhelming by Jon Bellion
      Kissing Strangers by DNCE
      Good News by Ocean Park Standoff
      Wicked by Mansionz featuring G-Eazy

      I did hear I Feel So Bad recently so I have a feeling it's not gone for good though.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. 45. Million Reasons (#25) Biggest Drop!
      44. Death Of A Bachelor (#44)
      43. Love On The Brain (#45)
      42. Treat You Better (#28)
      41. Side To Side (#43)
      40. This Town (#42)
      39. Miss You (#39)
      38. Heathens (#38)
      37. Cake (DEBUT)
      36. Now Or Never (#40)

      Delete
    5. Hold up, the former #1 dropping to #10 and the current #1 jumping from #8? Again?

      Delete
    6. Let's hope 7 exits happen next week and Love On The Brain must exit next week.

      Delete
    7. It's not gonna happen next week. The most you'll get is two or three.

      Delete
    8. Okay, then I hope Love On The Brain is one of them.

      Delete
    9. But what will not happen next week is an 8 exit week.

      Delete
    10. But we had 4 exits last week.

      Delete
  10. Random question: What's your opinion on Post Malone/Quavo - Congratulations? It's gaining airplay on pop radio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last question mark shouldn't be there.

      Delete
    2. I've heard it a couple of times before and I honestly think it's one of the better rap songs out there. It's not on my Bubbling Under yet but if it does well on pop radio it may debut #50Friday.

      Delete
  11. I only caught part of the countdown this morning on my way to work. But I was able to find out the rest thanks to Scott. It's nice to see we finally got a new #1! (Although a certain someone I won't name will not be happy about this)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certain someone is Lukas, by the way.

      Delete
    2. Yeah.....No. I was talking about someone else. You know, the guy who has been doing his blog for about three years.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I thought the same thing as Montavis.

      Delete
    4. For my birthday weekend, I'm definitely pleased with that. B)

      On a different note, anybody happen to have the YouTube15? Because I do want to do that this time around.

      Delete
    5. Oh yeah, I forgot! Yours is on the 24th right? If so happy early birthday!

      Delete
    6. Happy early birthday - Jack F. shares a birthday with you.

      And look here for the YouTube15:
      http://dogstarradio.com/search_playlist.php?artist=&title=&channel=2&month=4&date=21&shour=5&sampm=PM&stz=0&ehour=8&eampm=PM

      Delete
    7. And you know, I may actually share a birthday with Zack.

      Delete
  12. How come you haven't commented on the Billboard Hot 100 predictions for 5/6/17?

    ReplyDelete