Saturday, March 18, 2017

Album Review: Ed Sheeran - ÷

Image result for divide ed sheeran

So I'm going to try my first album review. I'll usually do album reviews for very popular artists or artists that I like. This one will be Ed Sheeran's new album. I apologize for the short summaries, I am not good at English. :P Any comment criticizing that will be removed.


Track 1: Eraser
With rap verses unlike any other rap song out there today and an upbeat chorus, this song proves that this is the type of music that Sheeran should be making in the future. The production, I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, is really well-done here.

Rating: 9/10

Track 2: Castle on the Hill
The production in the very beginning of the song is kinda generic, but I don't like the melancholiness to the song, as in the lyrics:

"One friend left to sell clothes
One works down by the coast
One had two kids but lives alone
One's brother overdosed
One's already on his second wife
One's just barely getting by
But these people raised me and I can't wait to go home"


Rating: 6/10

Track 3: Dive
This is pretty slow, but fine. The "shouting" in the pre-chorus and chorus is unnecessary. The verses and bridge are superior against the two song parts mentioned above. This is good but nothing amazing.

Rating: 8/10

Track 4: Shape of You
Here it is, the best song on the album. But what I'm imagining now is: what would everyone have thought of this if it weren't released before the album came out? I bet I'd still like it. The thing in the beginning instantly reminded me of Cheap Thrills. To be honest, I like the "Oh I" parts and the production during that part. The "Come on, be my baby" part is pretty good too. The song doesn't have as good a meaning as Castle on the Hill but that doesn't mean I like it less.

Rating: 10/10

Track 5: Perfect
Recently, I started doing reactions (first listen) to new music. Since this was doing well on iTunes and YouTube, I decided to do a video on it. However, it turned out to be boring. Some of it was alright but most of it was bad. If it gets released as a single, it will kind of be like Thinking Out Loud 2.0, except I don't like it this time.

Rating: 3/10

Track 6: Galway Girl
This has a cool beat. The chorus is quite catchy. I like the verses too and that somewhat sounds like Don't. Also, Galway is apparently a city in Ireland. Besides the three songs released before the album, this is the most played song on the album on Spotify as of March 7.

Rating: 8/10

Track 7: Happier
This isn't necessarily a highlight off the album but it isn't bad. It's slow but fine in some parts.

Rating: 7/10

Track 8: New Man
This is so single potential. If so, it will be the better version of Don't. I like the chorus a lot...

"I don't wanna know about your new man, cause if it was meant to be
You wouldn't be calling me up trying to
Cause I'm positive that he don't wanna know about me"

Rating: 8.5/10

Track 9: Hearts Don't Break Around Here
Read track #7.

Rating: 6.5/10

Track 10: What Do I Know
I like the beat in the chorus. If only this had better and less boring production this would be great.

Rating: 8/10

Track 11:
How Would You Feel (Paean)

This one isn't that awesome. It's quite slow, but I can take it.

Rating: 6/10

Track 12: Supermarket Flowers
There is absolutely NOTHING to this song. It can't get any more boring!

EDIT: Graham is saying that this is a tribute to Ed's deceased grandma. R.I.P. I'm going to add a half-point to the rating because of that.

Rating: 2.5/10

Track 13:
Barcelona

This is more fast-paced than the boring song above. The production is good in the catchy chorus. It got me moving! I think this may possibly be a single, and I'll definitely be happy if it will be.

Rating: 8.5/10

Track 14:
Bibia Be Ye Ye

At first I thought this is a weird title. But it's fast-paced with a nice beat. I still don't understand the title though. What does it mean? There's not much else to say about it.

Rating: 8.5/10

Track 15: Nancy Mulligan
I like it. It's fast-paced, telling about his life with his "wife" (not yet). For some reason I like how he mentions his name in the song. I like the Irish folk music in the pre-bridge, like in Galway Girl. In fact, it's Irish-based in the entire song.

Rating: 8.5/10

Track 16:
Save Myself

For the last track on the full album, it isn't that amazing. It's alright.

Rating: 6/10

Overall Album Rating: 7.1/10 (Good, 4/5 stars)

Top 5 Picks
5. Nancy Mulligan
4. Bibia Be Ye Ye
3. New Man
2. Eraser
1. Shape of You

33 comments:

  1. nice post! you should do these more often.

    I would have done a review but I was not a fan of the album. I only like the three songs released before the release date and maybe New Man and Galway Girl. The rest are horrible.

    I plan to do one for The Chainsmokers' Memories... Do Not Open album and Lorde's Melodrama when they come out. Maybe you too?

    And if you like Zara Larsson, she has her new album out So Good and most of those songs are good (especially Symphony). Give it a listen!

    And I don't see any problem with your English in terms that I understand everything (I didn't go through and verify every comma placement)

    And Bibia Be Ye Ye means all will be well in Twi, a language from Ghana, in Africa, because Ed Sheeran wrote it when he was in Ghana (makes sense)

    What are your top 5 songs on the album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I will do these more often.

      I really just like the non-boring songs.

      I will review those albums since they're from popular artists.

      I will not review her album since she's not too much of a popular artist. However, I do like her singles Lush Life, Never Forget You, and Ain't My Fault a lot.

      I meant that I don't write long enough paragraphs when reviewing songs. In English class in school, it's kinda hard for me to do that. I know the English language very well though.

      I didn't know that. How did you find out?

      I'll edit the post later.

      Delete
  2. Cool review! And what would be your overall rating of the album? Like a 7.5/10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll edit the post later with my overall rating and top 5 songs on the album.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So guys, I want all of you to be nice to each other, no fighting, please talk about music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only heard three songs from this album: Shape of You, Castle on the Hill, and Eraser, and they all suck. Nice review though.

    Also, "With rap verses unlike any other rap songs out there today." Lol! What you've heard is only a small sample of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Stargate/P!NK/Sia - Waterfall

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://billboardtopfortypopsongs.blogspot.com/

    I think this should go into the other blogs section.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1 Recommendation for .: Iggy Azalea - Mo Bounce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there, you've commented on a few blogs now, so welcome!

      Wait, this is her new song, right? I've gotta listen to it soon. She's had some great songs in the past.

      Delete
    2. And just a reminder, there's a lot of arguing on these blogs. I am currently staying out of it.

      Delete
    3. Also I've never even heard of The Como Brothers. How did you find them?

      Delete
    4. I found them on the website. They live on Long Island.

      Delete
    5. That's what it would say if you clicked on the profile...besides me, I know someone else here that lives on Long Island...

      Delete
    6. Rockin Librarian, are you Chase?

      Delete
    7. Rockin Librarian is my other account.

      Delete